With macaroni cheese being the ultimate comfort food this time of year, we couldn’t resist creating a healthy and veganised version without the milk and cheese, and after quite a few tries we found one we fell in love with. This is just a basic ‘cheese’ sauce for a traditional macaroni cheese style meal but if you’d like some extra goodness, feel free to add in some greens and other veg to turn it into a delicious pasta bake. We used brown rice pasta but if you’re not bothered about being gluten free you can just use some normal macaroni pasta, it’s completely up to you. 🙂 Serve with some garlic bread and you’re good to go! Now just in case you were wondering, making this recipe is really easy.
First, roast the butternut squash and cloves of garlic in a baking tray.
Then puree with a bit of water in a high speed blender.
Cook the pasta and make the sauce using cornflour, almond milk, the butternut squash puree and all of your seasonings.
Then mix altogether and serve.
If you enjoyed reading this or any of our other posts, don’t forget to like and subscribe to the blog to receive them every week straight to your inbox. There are also some buttons below if you want to share with your family and friends.:) Thank you so much for taking the time to read! We love and appreciate all of our followers so much! ❤
All our love, Emily & Louise X
|Butternut Squash Macaroni Cheese|| || |
- Serves 2
- For The Sauce And Pasta:
- 320g/11.2oz Brown Rice/Whole Wheat Macaroni Or Another Pasta
- 1 Medium Butternut Squash, Chopped Into Cubes
- 2-3 Cloves Of Garlic, Sliced Or Crushed
- 1 tsp Mixed Herbs
- 500ml Plant Based Milk, Plus A Bit Extra For The Paste
- 2-4 tbsp Cornflour (The amount of cornflour you decide to use will depend on how thick you would like the consistency)
- 2 tsp Wholegrain Or Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 4 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Himalayan Pink Or Sea Salt & Black Pepper, To Season
- To Garnish:
- Fresh Tomatoes, Sliced
- Fresh Or Dried Chives, Chopped
- Smoked Paprika
- Nutritional Yeast
- Preheat the oven to 180C and roast the chopped butternut squash and garlic with smoked paprika and mixed herbs for about 20 minutes until cooked.
- In a high speed blender, blend the butternut squash and garlic with a little bit of water until smooth. Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the packet instructions and drain when ready.
- Now make the sauce. In a saucepan warm the milk. In a jug or cup add a little milk to the cornflour to make a paste. Add the warm milk to the paste, then return to the pan.
- Keep stirring to thicken and add pureed squash, mustard, nutritional yeast, any extra paprika and salt and pepper to season. Once it has thickened, add to the cooked and drained pasta.
- Dish up onto your plates and garnish with some extra nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, sliced tomatoes and chopped chives. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes if desired.