For the first recipe of the year we thought we’d share with you one of our absolute favourite recipes which we have wanted to share on the blog for ages, and has been adapted from the Oh She Glows cookbook by Angela Liddon. (You can find the original recipe on her blog here). These cookies are moist, chewy and exactly the way that cookies should be! Instead of traditional flours they use oat and almond flour which also makes these gluten free which is great. 🙂 You can either buy these from the shops or easily make it yourself in about two minutes by simply milling gluten free or regular oats and whole almonds in a blender. To do this we use our handy little Nutribullet. The trick to getting this right is only doing it for a few seconds, especially with the almonds as if you do it too long it can easily turn into nut butter! Don’t worry if there are a few bits of almonds still here and there, as it makes the texture of the cookies all the interesting and delicious! If you don’t have almond butter in you can also use peanut butter for this, as it works just the same and tastes just as good.
We love to make these early afternoon and whilst they are still warm, and enjoy as a little mid afternoon treat while we are doing our work or watching Neighbours. Because of the oats they make the perfect little pick me up and give us just the boost we need. This recipe makes around 6-8 large cookies… feel free to make them as big or small as you’d like. If all of the cookies aren’t going to get eaten straight away, once they are cool, pack away individually in baking parchment or in a container and store in the freezer ready to take out again when ready. If we wake up feeling a little lazy and tired, or not very hungry, we like to heat them up again for 5 minutes at the same temperature (180C) and have for our breakfast. These would also make a great little supper served with a glass of almond milk.
|Chocolate Oat And Almond Cookies|| |
- Makes 6-8 Large Cookies
- 1 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- ¼ cup/57g/2oz Vegan Butter
- ¼ cup/57g/2oz Almond Butter
- ¾ cup/165g/6oz Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate Of Soda
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Himalayan Pink or Sea Salt
- 1 cup/128g/4.5oz Oat Flour (You can buy this from the shop or make it yourself by milling some gluten free or regular oats in your blender, we use the Nutribullet)
- 1 cup/128g/4.5oz Almond Flour (You can buy this from the shop or make it yourself by milling some whole almonds in your blender for a few seconds. To do this we use the Nutribullet.)
- 1 bar of Green & Blacks 85% Dark Chocolate, Chopped Into Chunks
- Preheat your oven to 180C and grease a couple of baking trays. In a small ramekin or bowl, make your flaxseed egg by mixing together the 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed with 3 tbsps of water and leave it for a few minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, beat together the vegan butter and almond butter with an electric hand mixer. Add in the coconut sugar and then mix again. Now add in the flax egg, vanilla extract, bicarb, baking powder, salt, both flours, and mix until well combined. Don't worry if there's a couple of loose bits of almonds from the almond flour, as it makes it all the more tasty and interesting!
- Fold the chocolate chunks into the mixture and then shape the dough into 6-8 hand sized balls. Place on your baking tray/s and then flatten down with the palm of your hands. Place in the oven and then leave to cook to 10-12 minutes. Once out of the oven leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a tin. Enjoy!