A favourite of ours for many years, this sticky toffee pudding recipe is extremely delicious and comforting, and perfect for those warm and cosy winter evenings watching your favourite Christmas films. A lot healthier and lighter than traditional STP’s, it won’t leave you feeling horrible afterwards and will have you going back for more and more! It also has some cashews in that are soaked beforehand, for some feel-good goodness. It’s not too sweet, with just the right balance of coconut sugar and date syrup to give it a lovely caramel taste. (Dont worry, coconut sugar doesn’t taste like coconut!) For this vegan version, the eggs are replaced with flax eggs, which are made by mixing ground flaxseed and water. You will need a food processor to make this though so we’re sorry if you don’t have one. Unfortunately we don’t think it’s the kind of thing that can be made in a bowl like some things. Although you’re more than welcome to give it a go!
To reheat, just pop it in the oven or microwave for a few minutes and serve with some vegan custard or ice cream. We really like Alpro soya custard and Booja Booja Organic Keep Smiling Vanilla M’Gorilla or Swedish Glace Vanilla.
We meant to get this recipe up last month but have had some difficulties in uploading the images we’ve taken, but thankfully have finally fixed it. We hope you enjoy! If you make it for yourself, let us know what you think on social media and send us pictures of your creations! You can find us on instagram, twitter, and facebook at @itkwithemandlou 🙂
|Sticky Toffee Pudding|| || |
- For the cake:
- 40g Cashew nuts, soaked overnight or for at least 4 hours and drained
- 2 tbsps Ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsps Water
- 100g Vegan butter (we like to use Flora buttery or Pure)
- 50g Coconut sugar (this gives it the lovely caramel taste)
- 75g Date syrup
- 50ml Water
- 130g Self raising flour
- 50g Cornflour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 200g Medjool dates, pitted and with the ends trimmed off
- 120ml Water
- 1½ tbsp Raw cacao powder
- For the toffee sauce:
- 70g Vegan butter
- 60g Coconut sugar
- 120g Date syrup
- To serve:
- Alpro custard or Swedish glace/Booja booja vanilla ice cream
- Before you start, make the flax eggs. To do this, mix 2 tbsps ground flaxseed with 6 tbsps water in a bowl and place in the fridge for 15-30 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a round cake tin (21cm). If you don't have a non stick pan you may have to line it too.
- In a small pan, melt the vegan butter, coconut sugar, and date syrup on a low heat. Once melted, leave to cool and then add in the flaxseed eggs and 50ml water.
- Add the flour to a mixing bowl along with the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and mix.
- Add the dates, 120ml water and cashews to a food processor and process until relatively smooth. Add in the cacao powder and mix again. Add the buttery/flax egg mixture in and pulse until well combined. Gradually add in the dry ingredients and and pulse, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour the cake mixture into the cake tin and bake for about 30 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Once the cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and leave to cool. While its cooling, prepare the toffee sauce.
- In a small pan, add all of the toffee sauce ingredients and melt over a low heat until a smooth sauce is formed.
- Place the cake on a plate and poke lots of holes over the top with a fork. Then pour the sauce over, covering it evenly. Cut into slices and serve with some vegan custard or ice cream. Enjoy!